5 Reasons Why Winter Is The Best Time To Buy A Home In The Chicago Area
- You aren’t fighting with the masses of buyers who start shopping in spring
- Less competition means sellers are more eager to hear from you
- Less competition means more good-value opportunities to choose from
- Less buyers means your real estate broker can invest more time with you. Same goes with your lender.
- Most importantly, you’ll deal with sellers who are committed to selling. Sellers who have listed their property during these periods are serious about selling.
In addition to the reasons above, there are practical reasons as to why shopping in the winter months is valuable. Seeing properties “the worst time” can tell you a lot about what you can really expect from a property:
- Visiting a house during a hard rain can shed light on how the home handles water. Check the basement and yard.
- After a fresh snowfall you’ll discover which homes are losing heat (melted snow) and the ones that are well insulated (snow on roof)
- On a windy day you’ll be able to notice drafts, lack of insulation, and poorly-sealed windows and doors
- On a real cold day, you can easily tell how the heating system works in the entire home.